Sunday, April 25, 2010

Paintbrush on Fire!



One of my goals for 2010 was to add some juried art shows to my schedule. I miss painting for the joy of painting - without worrying if the image will work as a notecard or print and how many pieces of it I can sell.

I have a hard time switching gears as I transition from studio manager/marketing whiz/ packer to plain old Kathleen who loves to paint. In the process there are always some loser paintings/ideas. I'll look at them and say:
"Whew! Ew - what were you thinking?"

I have more ideas than time right now. I'm working in series, which I've never done before. (Except for the Dog Shrines) I love how it's flowing. There's a floral series of fantasy flowers in black and white pottery. I'm just beginning a "Mother" Series - Earth Mother, My Sainted Mother, Stay at Home Mother ... this one could go on forever. And of course my beloved dogs and cats are well represented.

I'll post some of the new images. Would love any feedback. It's always a strange feeling to be surrounded by paintings that no one has seen. I wonder if anyone else will be as excited as I am about them. My favorite painting is always the last one I did. I don't think I have an objective view. That's a good thing - there's enough self flagellation that goes on during the creative process.

Next post will be the show schedule and more new paintings. Off to find the vacuum - another little quirk is that I like to start painting in a clean space. At the end of the day it's a freakin' mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment