Monday, May 2, 2011

Talisman

























I've been thinking about talismen a lot lately. I should probably look up the meaning in the dictionary.
I know what they mean to me. I have a lot of them.

Today I wore my Grandchildren talisman. It's a necklace that was a gift from my youngest daughter. It has 3 concentric discs, each disc has one or more of the names of my precious grands. Luke, Brayden, Mackenzie, Nicholas, Ella, and baby Alice.

I have place markers on the chain because I know there will be more to come.
I always feel special when I wear this one.

Being a grandmother is one of those life gifts that just gets better every year.
I am so grateful to be able to hike up a canyon with them /dance in the kitchen like a fool
and play every game they want. Except football. I draw the line there.

I have a necklace that is my mother. When I need her strength and protection, I sling
this one around my neck. The original gold chain and wedding band was a first anniversary
gift from my Dad. I added all her childhood charms to it after she passed.
This one comes on plane rides with me and scary business meetings.
I know she's always got my back.

I also have some makeshift talismans. My daughters and I share a crudely crafted leather
thong that has a whole bunch of saints and icons. This is one for general travel safety.

I have a large pebble on the floor of my messy mini-van.
This one is a gift from Ella Ann when she thought rocks were the best things.
They were everywhere, free, and a lot of them are sparkly.
What could be better?

I have a handmade plastic bead bracelet hanging from my rearview mirror.
It spells out "Mimi" - Ella's name for me.

I have a friendship bracelet hanging in the house from my beautiful Mackenzie.
She's 9 and makes them for all of us. All 16 of us, whenever we're together.

When I can't have the ones I love to hold my hand, I have their gifts to keep me strong
and feeling loved.

Life is good. I've been saying that a lot lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment